According to recent Peerless Research Group (PRG) surveys and feedback as published in the January 1, 2013, Logistics Management article, “Supply Chain Technology: Transportation Management Systems (TMS) gaining altitude,” many shippers of freight, such as manufacturers and distribution companies, are seeing the benefits of both hard and soft freight costs savings when they deploy a TMS or freight management software.
The top reasons shippers plan to purchase a TMS or freight management software:
- Routing and Scheduling: Shippers want automation in order to save time and money spent on resources for processing freight shipments.
- Routing and Rating: Shippers want to know how to best optimize their route to save money as well as get the best rate whether they ship LTL, Truckload or small package freight. A good provider, who intimately works with carriers on your behalf and then maintains those rates, all while optimizing shipments based on your freight history through analysis, will offer the most value.
- Shipment Consolidation: Shippers want both technology and people to help ship freight more efficiently. To provide the highest freight costs savings, it’s imperative you take advantage of the capacity crunch going on in LTL markets and leverage experience through a provider whom can help in drop-shipping, multiple locations, and proper freight accounting to organize it all efficiently.
- Carrier Selection: When you are ready to ship, do you really want to go to several websites, put in multiple quote inquiries, and HOPE you chose the right set of carriers who will give you the best rates, transit time, and limit of liability? When you are onboard with a TMS, it needs to have the ability for you to choose, much like a travel website does for hotels, the carrier who best fits your needs.
- Freight Payment/Auditing: Good TMS or freight management software technology has freight accounting services such as freight payment, freight auditing, and freight invoice consolidation. These systems, such as the Cerasis Rater, should also offer robust tools to analyze historical freight data and accounting in order to make future business decisions which further drive down costs.
If you are thinking about purchasing freight management software or making a change from your current TMS, contact Cerasis today or ask to receive a Cerasis Rater Demo from one of our Account Executives.